About This Item
Azithromycin is an azalide antibiotic, subclass of the macrolide class of antibiotics. Azithromycin acts by binding to the 50s ribosomal subunit of susceptible organisms and thus interferes with microbial protein synthesis.
Azithromycin demonstrated activity in vitro, against a wide range of gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria including: Staphylococcus aureus, Streptococcus pneumoniae, Streptococcus pyogenes (Group A) and other Streptococcal species; Haemophilus influenzae and parainfluenzae; Moraxella catarrhalis; anaerobes including Bacteroides fragilis, Escherichia coli, Bordetella pertussis, Bordetella parapertussis, Borrelia burgdorferi, Haemophilus ducreyi, Neisseria gonorrhoeae and Chlamydia trachomatis. Azithromycin also demonstrates activity in vitro against Legionella pneumophila, Mycoplasma pneumoniae and hominis; Campylobacter sp., Toxoplasma gondii and Treponema pallidum.
Oral or Injection:
Adults or elderly:
- For lower respiratory tract infections including bronchitis and pneumonia, upper respiratory tract infections including sinusitis and pharyngitis / tonsillitis, otitis media and skin and soft tissue infections: The total dose of Azithromycin is 1.5 gm given as 500 mg once daily for 3 days. An alternative to this dosage schedule is that 500 mg once daily on day 1, followed by 250 mg once daily for next 4 days.
- For sexually transmitted diseases caused by Chlamydia trachomatis: The dose of Azithromycin is 1 gm given as a single dose. Alternatively, 500 mg once daily on day 1, followed by 250 mg once daily for next 2 days may also be given.
Children: The dose of Azithromycin in children over 6 months of age is 10 mg/kg body weight once daily for 3 days. Alternatively, 10 mg/kg on day 1, followed by 5 mg/kg for next 4 days is also recommended. There is no information on use of Azithromycin on children under 6 months of age. For children the dose of Azithromycin suspension is as follows:
- 5-10 kg (6 months-2 years): 1.25 ml – 2.5 ml (¼ – ½ tsp) Once daily for three days
- 11-20 kg (3-8 years): 5 ml (1 tsp) Once daily for three days
- 21-30 kg (9-12 years): 7.5 ml (1 ½ tsp) Once daily for three days
- 31-40 kg (13-15 years): 10 ml (2 tsp) Once daily for three days
- 41-45 years (16-17 years): 11.5 ml (2 ½ tsp) Once daily for three days
Azithromycin is indicated for infections (caused by susceptible organisms) in lower respiratory tract infections including bronchitis and pneumonia, in upper respiratory tract infections including sinusitis and pharyngitis/tonsillitis, in otitis media, and in the skin and soft tissue infections. In sexually transmitted diseases in men and women, Azithromycin is indicated in the treatment of non-gonococcal urethritis and cervicitis due to Chlamydia trachomatis.
* চিকিৎসকের পরামর্শ অনুযায়ী ঔষধ সেবন করুন