No products in the cart.
IndicationsLosartan is an angiotensin II receptor blocker (ARB) indicated for:
- Treatment of hypertension, to lower blood pressure in adults and children greater than 6 years old. Lowering blood pressure reduces the risk of fatal and nonfatal cardiovascular events, primarily strokes and myocardial infarctions.
- Reduction of the risk of stroke in patients with hypertension and left ventricular hypertrophy. There is evidence that this benefit does not apply to Black patients.
- Treatment of diabetic nephropathy with an elevated serum creatinine and proteinuria in patients with type 2 diabetes and a history of hypertension.
Dosage & AdministrationHypertension:
- Usual adult dose: 50 mg once daily.
- Usual pediatric starting dose: 0.7 mg per kg once daily (up to 50 mg).
Hypertensive Patients with Left Ventricular Hypertrophy:
- Usual starting dose: 50 mg once daily.
- Add hydrochlorothiazide 12.5 mg and/or increase Losartan to 100 mg followed by an increase to hydrochlorothiazide 25 mg if further blood pressure response is needed.
Nephropathy in Type 2 Diabetic Patients:
- Usual dose: 50 mg once daily.
- Increase dose to 100 mg once daily if further blood pressure response is needed.
Use in elderly:
- Patients up to 75 years: No initial dosage adjustment is necessary for this group of patients.
- Patients over 75 years: A lower starting dose of 25 mg once daily is recommended