Dosage & Administration
Tablet: For the treatment of initial and recurrent episodes of herpes simplex infections in adults, 200 mg Acyclovir tablet should be taken 5 times daily (at 4 hours intervals omitting the night-time dose). Treatment should continue for 5 days and may be extended for up to 10 days in severe initial infections. For suppression of herpes simplex infections in adults, treatment with Acyclovir tablet should be continued at a dose of 200 mg 4 times daily or 400 mg twice daily for up to 1 year. If the patient remains recurrence free for up to 2-3 months, this dose can be reduced to 200 mg 3 times daily. After 1 year, treatment should be stopped to reassess patient’s clinical status. For prophylaxis of herpes simplex infections in immune-compromised patients, 200 mg Acyclovir tablet should be taken four times daily at 6 hourly intervals for 7 days. In severely immune-compromised patients (e.g. after bone marrow transplantation) or in patients with impaired absorption from the gut, the dose can be doubled. For treatment of herpes zoster infections in adults, 800 mg Acyclovir tablet should be taken 5 times daily (at 4 hourly intervals) for 7 days.
Oral suspension: Children: HSV infections in children over 2 years should be given adult doses and children below 2 years should be given half of the adult dose.
IndicationsAcyclovir IV for Infusion is indicated for the treatment of-
- Herpes Simplex infections in immunocompromised patients
- Initial and recurrent mucosal and cutaneous Herpes Simplex (HSV-1 and HSV-2) infections in immunocompromised patients
- Severe initial clinical episodes of herpes genitalis in immunocompetent patients
- Herpes Simplex encephalitis
- Neonatal herpes simplex virus infections and varicella-zoster (shingles) infections in immunocompromised patients* চিকিৎসকের পরামর্শ অনুযায়ী ঔষধ সেবন করুন